Washington, D.C. – On Thursday, immigrant, progressive and civil rights leaders will be joined by Congresswomen Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN) to call on Congress to cut funding for Trump’s deportation force. Courageous people who have been targeted and detained by the deportation force and families who are fighting to save their loved ones will share the truth about the ICE & CBP.
Trump wants more dollars and power for the deportation force and we will make the progressive clear: Congress needs to defund the deportation force now.
The press event will kick off a day of visits to Congress, where leaders will deliver over 200,000 petition signatures to Congress gathered by leading progressive partners such as CREDO Action, Indivisible, MoveOn.org, DFA, Church World Service DailyKos, AFSC, National Immigration Law Center and others. The groups represent millions who believe that Congress should keep the government open and reject Trump’s demands for more money, detention camps and deportation agents.
- What: Press event with communities directly impacted by the deportation force and Congressional Champions to highlight why we need to reject the wall and stop atrocities by ICE and CBP
- Petition delivery will begin at 2PM
- Where: Zone 10 of Capitol Grounds (House side between Capitol and Supreme Court)
- When: February 7th, 2019 starting at 10 AM
- Who: Members of United We Dream, MoveOn, Indivisible, Center for Popular Democracy, CASA, and Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN). More speakers to be announced.