The Joint Committee on Taxation has the power to revoke Private Prisons’ tax-free REIT Status. Committee Members include Representatives Devin Nunes (CA), Sam Johnson (TX), Kevin Brady (TX), Sander M. Levin (MI), Charles B. Rangel (NY) and Senators Orrin G. Hatch (UT), Chuck Grassley (IA), Mike Crapo (ID), Ron Wyden (OR), and Debbie Stabenow (MI). Sign the petition to revoke REIT status now.
Week of Action activities will raise the profile of the campaign, provide information and encourage community members and organizations to analyze how they have been impacted by these systems, and to imagine where and how we could reinvest in our communities to foster healing and solidarity across class and racial divides.
Current list of events:
- 4/17 In Solidarity with Palestinian Political Prisoners, launch of new website highlighting injustices perpetrated by G4S in the United States, Palestine, and beyond.
- 4/17 Arizona, Petition to AZ Chamber of Commerce to Drop CCA from its membership, Puente
- 4/17-4/21 NYC, campus education forums & protests, CUNY Prison Divest
- 4/18-4/22 Oberlin, campus education forums, Oberlin Prison Divest
- 4/18- 4/20 New Jersey, Princeton University has vote for referendum to divest from private prisons, Princeton Private Prison Divest
- 4/18 New Jersey, Demand , Rutgers #PrisonDivest
- 4/20 Tacoma, Washington, community rally for men with cancer held in immigrant detention
- 4/20-4/21 D.C., meetings with Congressional staffers to revoke REIT for prisons, Advancement Project and United We Dream
- 4/20 3:00pm EST Twitter townhall. See the conversation on Storify.
- 4/21 Portland, Community Canvass and #RevokeREIT rally, Enlace
- 4/22 New Jersey, Protest GEO Group Halfway House & Campaign Launch, NJ #PrisonDivest
- 4/25 NYC, Community Canvass and #RevokeREIT rally, Enlace, Black Alliance for Just Immigration, Families for Freedom, Responsible Endowments Coalition, Queer Detainee Empowerment Project
- Weeklong online petition & education drive to end tax breaks for private prisons tinyurl.com/NoPrisonTaxBreaks
Add your event to the list on our Facebook page or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through Prison Divestment, we can influence the root causes of this issue, attacking the profit motive that has seen an explosion in incarceration of Black and brown communities.